Motorcycle Accident Lawyers: Daytona Bike Week 2012 is March 9-18, a week later than usual due to NASCAR’s decision to push the Daytona 500 back a week; extra time is needed to get Daytona International Speedway ready for this spectacular motorcycle event and build the famed Daytona Supercross track. While the later date may mean warmer weather, finding a hotel room may be more difficult with college students heading down to Daytona around the same time for spring break. If you haven’t already made hotel reservations, you had better do so fast!
Hundreds of thousands of motorcyclists flock to Daytona to partake in the annual motorcycle rally and race activities at Riverfront Park on Beach Street, Daytona International Speedway, and Main Street. Daytona Bike Week is the largest motorcycle rally in the Eastern United States with an estimated attendance of 500,000. While some area merchants felt the attendance was down last year due to the poor economy, many are hopeful for a resurgence in attendance this year.
Here are some important event highlights for this year’s Daytona Bike Week
- Daytona Supercross on March 10
- Daytona Flat Track doubleheader on March 15-16
- Daytona 200 on March 17 – The granddaddy of all American Motorcycle races. This marks the beginning of the AMA Pro Racing season.
- Harley Davidson Custom & Classic Motorcycle Ride-in Show, sponsored by American Iron Magazine on March 14
- Daytona Bike Week Treasure Hunt sponsored by the Daytona Chamber of Commerce
- Free demo rides and displays from top motorcycle manufacturers
- Food & live entertainment in Daytona International Speedway and Riverfront Park
In addition to some wild partying and exhilarating motorcycle racing action, this year’s event will feature an interactive 2012 Harley-Davidson display and demo rides. As a follow up to our recent blog on women bikers, we should also mention that Harley-Davidson is hosting its annual Muscular Dystrophy Association (MDA) Women’s Ride on March 13 in Daytona Beach. Bikers can also enter a drawing for the Official Bike Week Motorcycle – a custom bike from Springs Custom Cycles valued at $35,000. The Daytona Regional Chamber of Commerce is also offering the 2012 version of The Bike Week App, which includes official Daytona Bike Week event listings as well as information about area attractions and restaurants.