Daytona Bike Week Opens with a Roar—Be Careful on Your Way to the Main Events :Daytona Bike Week kicks off this weekend in Daytona Beach, Florida and is sure to be a blast for all those attending. Yet between all of the road closures and extra motorcycles on the road, accidents and motorcycle-related deaths are often increased. In fact, 6 motorcyclists were killed during last year’s Daytona Bike Week on Florida roadways. Sadly, the majority of motorcycle accidents are the fault of inattentive drivers—not the motorcyclists themselves.
While other motorists may be responsible for the majority of motorcycle accidents, there are things motorcyclists can do to minimize the risks of getting into a catastrophic motorcycle accident.
- Wear a helmet—this is the single best way to prevent a serious head or neck injury. In fact, when states repealed their motorcycle helmet laws, there was a 32% increase in head injury deaths and a 42% increase in head injury hospitalizations. No matter what the law in your state says, always wear a helmet.
- Wear bright and reflective clothing—in rain and during the night, riders who wear bright and reflective clothing are more likely to be noticed by oncoming motorists. This alone can save your life and reduce the chances of being “invisible” to other motorists.
- Never split lanes—even in heavy traffic it is best not to attempt to split lanes. Riding in between cars can cause unnecessary accidents and serious injury.
- Watch your speed—riding recklessly and at a high rate of speed can cause you to lose control of your bike. In addition, riders who are speeding have less time to react to sudden traffic changes and to sudden road debris.
- Have fun, but not TOO much fun—while it may be fun to have a couple of drinks with your friends, especially during a fun rally or event, it is never okay to drink and drive. If you are planning to drink at an event, consider calling a cab to take you home. Drinking and driving is one of the major causes of serious and often fatal motorcycle accidents.
If you are planning to arrive at Daytona Bike Week this weekend, be sure to follow these safety tips and have fun! As always, if you are injured during Daytona Bike Week or during any rally or event, it is important to retain the services of an experienced and veteran Florida motorcycle accident attorney. Call Russ Brown Motorcycle Attorneys® today for a FREE CONSULTATION at 1-800-4-BIKERS. We Ride—We Care—We Win!