California Motorcycle Lawyer: Marijuana Impairment Contributes to Fatal California Motorcycle Accident
We often talk about the dangers of driving while under the influence of alcohol, but driving or operating a motorcycle while under the influence of drugs can be just as deadly. Marijuana is known to impair perception and cognition and delay reaction time in drivers. In addition, marijuana causes a loss of motor coordination which can cause devastating accidents by impairing a motorcyclist’s ability to think and react in emergency situations. It also makes it difficult to interpret your surroundings and can make it difficult to notice a motorcyclist on the roadway.
Protect Yourself Against Impaired Drivers – California Motorcycle Lawyer
As a California motorcyclist, there are things you can do to protect yourself against drunk drivers and drug-impaired drivers.
- If you have to ride at night, always be sure you have reflective and bright clothing on. This will allow impaired drivers the opportunity to see you a few seconds sooner, and sometimes a few seconds can make all the difference.
- Always wear a helmet when riding
- Be sure your bike’s brakes are working properly and that your headlight is as bright as it should be
- Never drink and drive or operate your motorcycle after taking drugs (illegal, prescription, or over-the-counter)
- Never ride passenger on a motorcycle with someone who is intoxicated
- Ride cautiously through intersections
- Do not speed
If you or someone you love was injured in a California motorcycle accident, it is important to have your case reviewed by an experienced California – Los Angeles motorcycle accident attorney. Russ Brown Motorcycle Attorneys® know that drug impairment can cause devastating accidents and injuries to motorcyclists throughout Los Angeles, Burbank, Santa Monica, and the State of California. As such, we fight aggressively to ensure that your rights are protected and your future is secure. Call us today for a FREE INITIAL CONSULTATION at 1-800-4-BIKERS.