Motorcycle accident lawyers in the greater Los Angeles area know that when it comes to road hazards and conditions, things that are a minor nuisance to car drivers can be extremely dangerous to a motorcyclist. Things like uneven pavement, potholes, tree limbs and even wet leaves can create a devastating situation for motorcyclist who may be unaware of how simple things could affect him or his bike. Motorcycle accidents that happen because of road hazards often leave the injured rider confused about their rights too, as they may not know who to target to obtain compensation for his or her serious injuries.
Well, as they say an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. If a biker knows what to look out for they can avoid many of the road hazards in the Los Angeles area. These hazards include but are not limited to:
- Unmaintained roads – uneven pavement, gravel, pothole can be the grave enemy of even a savvy and experienced motorcycle rider.
- Inclement weather – wet leaves, rain, ice, hail, snow – all these elements can create a slick, wet surface that is potentially deadly for a biker
- Road debris – it goes without saying that things left in the road could trip up biker’s wheels and send him reeling.
- Animals – motorcyclists rarely think about cute and furry critters being a problem but should one of them dart in front of their vehicle they can spell trouble. Deer are especially harmful to a motorcycle rider, as hitting one could prove fatal.
- Other road conditions or issues- wide bridge joints can create a nightmarish situation for motorcyclist as well as the expansion joints that connect two sections of road.
As for all of the above, it pays for a motorcyclist to be proactive regarding his or her own safety while on the road.
Although many of these scenarios are unavoidable and a no fault situation, others can be traced to the negligence of one or more parties. When this occurs, an injured biker can utilize the service of Los Angeles or California based motorcycle accident lawyers to obtain financial compensation for injury.
And who can be held liable in the above scenarios?
The answer to that can greatly depend on the nature of the accident itself. For instance, if a state, county or city left a dangerous situation unfixed on a local road and you are hurt, that public entity can be sued. Private individuals and business can also be sued if the accident occurred on their property or as a result of negligence on their part. An example would be someone who did not tie their belongings on their truck properly who causes an accident when one of the items hits you or your bike.
If you or a loved one has been affected by a motorcycle accident here in California, it is important to contact a California motorcycle lawyer for help. Our veteran California motorcycle attorneys can explain all of your legal options, and work to ensure that your family receives the appropriate financial compensation and long-term help they need. Call the California motorcycle attorney at 1-800-4-BIKERS today to schedule your consultation.