What is my motorcycle accident claim worth is a common question asked by personal injury victims, and depending on the circumstances and the State you were injured in it might be substantial. but before you run off and spend a lot of money you don’t have yet, your best option is to consult with an experienced motorcycle accident attorney. There are some serious variables to consider when calculating your motorcycle accident claim, such as the extent of your injuries and damage to your motorcycle. If you sustained serious injury and could require long term treatment or rehabilitation then you should not speak with an insurance adjuster until you have hired an attorney because it is the job of the insurance adjuster to minimize your claim and try to get you to sign off for literally a fraction of the money you could actually need just to cover your current and potential future medical expenses.
Insurance Companies can make even a small case difficult for a person. It is well worth 5 minutes of your time to pick up a phone and talk with a motorcycle accident lawyer and set up a consultation. Most lawyers who are committed to serving the needs of motorcycle accident victims offer free no obligation consultations so you can get the facts about how you should proceed with your injury claim and what your claim is actually worth.
For many reasons it is important to specifically hire a motorcycle accident attorney – one who understands the dynamics of motorcycle accidents and also understands the people who ride motorcycles, including sport bikes and super bikes. It is also important to hire an attorney who knows the law in the State your accident occurred, because even though you may live in Ohio, if your accident happened in California the law requires that only an attorney licensed in the State of California may handle the case. This is important because even if you have a lawyer you know and trust in your home state, he or she may not be familiar with the specific laws and rules of court in the state where your accident took place.
The following items should be considered in determining case value.
- Damage to my bike and personal items, (i.e.) helmet, gloves, pants, shirt, etc.
- Payment of all medical bills and consideration of any future medical bills.
- Payment of all lost of wages, including overtime, and other benefits plus consideration of future loss of earnings.
- Compensation for pain and suffering – this area of the claim doesn’t follow a formula. It takes years of experience to determine a fair amount and only then all factors of the case are considered including scarring, residual symptoms and permanent disability.. This is the area where attorneys are most valuable.
- After we know the answers to all the above questions then, and only then, can we put a value on a case. For example until we know how long you are going to be off work we can’t assign a value for wage losses.
Above all you should seek legal advise as soon as possible. If you were seriously injured and are in the hospital undergoing treatment, as soon as you are able you or a loved one should contact a motorcycle accident lawyer because to effectively represent your injury claim your lawyer will need to gather all of the evidence surrounding your accident as quickly as possible. Without all of the supporting facts of your accident, settling your case favorably can rapidly become complicated and missing evidence or witness statements could even help the insurance adjuster and the at fault party’s case.
What you should do if you are even in a motorcycle accident.
- Remain calm. Take deep breaths.
- Get the facts: Time, date, location of accident, names and driver’s license of others involved, witnesses, etc….
- Be careful what you say. Make statements to law officials only at the scene.
- Do not speak to the representative of the other person’s insurance company if you intend to retain a lawyer.
- Call 1-800-4-BIKERS Immediately! 24-hour, toll-free, nationwide assistance is standing by to help you.
- See a doctor. Obtain treatment if you are injured.
- Contact your insurance agency.
Having an aggressive and experienced motorcycle accident lawyer on your side to protect your rights and fight to get you a favorable settlement is important. If you are unsure if you even have a case call 1-800-4-BIKERS today to speak with a personal injury attorney who not only knows the law, but also rides!